A crown is a tooth shaped cover which fits over the existing structure of your natural tooth to protect and restore the tooth’s function.
Crowns can be used to:
- Strengthen teeth which have been weakened by decay or a large filling.
- Protect fractured, cracked and worn teeth.
- Improve the shape, alignment and shade of a tooth.
- After root canal treatment, to help strengthen the tooth.
Each crown is individually handcrafted by our dental technician to create a healthy, natural look.
Crowns can be made using the following materials
- all metal (often gold) or tooth coloured crowns such as porcelain fused to metal (often gold or a gold alloy)
- full ceramic (porcelain) or
- composite (plastic with glass particles embedded).
The material used will depend on why you are having the crown.
Whether you choose to have a crown to improve the shape and alignment of your teeth or to strengthen your tooth, the procedure is the same.